The Bledisloe Medal, initiated in 1930 by the late Viscount Bledisloe, former Governor-General of New Zealand, is made to a former student or a past or current staff member of Lincoln University, who in the opinion of the Council; has made an outstanding contribution to his or her chosen field of expertise, advanced New Zealand's interests, and/or brought credit to Lincoln University.
Don McFarlane, MNZM, JP: Don McFarlane believes in cooperative schemes which benefit the local community, as well as regionally and nationally, and has a long record of leadership in the agricultural sector in South Canterbury. As chairman of CRT, he was instrumental in growing it to a South Island wide organisation, which increased its revenue from $50m to $1.25b and then merging with Farmlands to form a nationwide cooperative. Mr McFarlane is Deputy Chair of Farmlands and has directorships with the New Zealand Honey Co-operative, and Runanga owned Moeraki Investments. He is Chairman of agriculture machinery manufacturer Duncan/Clough. He was an inaugural director of the NZ Blackcurrant Cooperative; Chairman of Aoraki Business Development Board and South Canterbury Federated Farmers President. More than 50 years as a prominent and active leader in the South Canterbury agricultural sector earned him a Queen's Birthday Honour in 2015. He was made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit for his services to agriculture and the community.
John Acland, CNZM: Mr Acland has combined a high achieving business career with a strong commitment to public service. He attended Lincoln University in 1956 as a student in the Intensive Diploma of Agriculture course. He was awarded a Nuffield farming scholarship in 1968 and later became the chair of the Nuffield farming trust. His public service has included a long connection with Lincoln University where he has served as a member and chairman of the University Farmers Conference Committee and as a farm visit host to students for over 20 years.
A list of our past recipients can be found on our Former Bledisloe Medal Recipients page.
Award Nomination Criteria
The Nominee will be assessed on the following criteria:
- They are a former student or past or current staff member of Lincoln University who has made an outstanding contribution in his or her chosen field and/or brought credit to Lincoln University
- Their achievements in his/her career;
- The economic, scientific, cultural or technological value of the nominee’s work;
- The extent of the connection between the work of the nominee and the aims/interests of Lincoln University;
- The extent to which the nominee’s achievements reflect on, or have the potential to reflect on, the University’s reputation; and
- The extent to which the candidate’s achievements have advanced New Zealand’s Interests.
To make a nomination, please complete the nomination form below or alternatively, you can download a copy of the form and send the completed form to Adrian Carpinter (Director, Governance):
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or
- Mail: Vice-Chancellor's Office, PO Box 85084, Lincoln University, Lincoln 7647, New Zealand
(Please do not attach any other supporting materials as these will not be considered. Curriculum vitae's are also not necessary)
Medal Nomination Form