History of Lincoln
Over the last decade, Lincoln University has positioned itself firmly as New Zealand's specialist land-based university. Having been founded in 1878 as a School of Agriculture, the University has long been held in high regard for our agricultural and land-based outcomes. In 1896, the school became a full member of the University of New Zealand, and by 1962 it was renamed Lincoln College. Although governed by its own Council, Lincoln College began issuing degrees through the University of Canterbury.
In 1990 Lincoln College became Lincoln University, specialising in research and education in agriculture and the physical and biological sciences, complemented by the integration of international commerce, environmental management and social sciences.
Our graduates and our research can be found across the globe - making a tangible difference in many countries, and land-based industries. We are very proud of the role that this University plays in helping to solve real-world problems through the quality of our education, research programmes, and ultimately the calibre of our University's scholarships and graduates.
Lincoln University's performance, leadership, growth, and reputation will ensure continuous contributions to national outcomes and global conversations.
Since its founding in 1878, Lincoln University has seen students graduate from our institution and contribute to the nation and the world. We are exceptionally proud of these achievements!
Alumni - what does it mean?
The word Alumni is derived from the Latin root alere, to nourish. The alumni of a university are a rich resource. Their achievements and accomplishments ensure the institution and its' reputation grow and flourish.
An alumna is a female graduate of the university, alumnae is the plural and refers to a group of female graduates. An alumnus can refer to a male graduate but is also gender neutral; hence we tend to use alumni as the plural of alumnus referring to a group of graduates, male or female.
Lincoln University Coat of Arms
Scientia Et-Industria-Cum Probitate
Science (or knowledge) and industry with Uprightness (or integrity).
The head contains three symbols. In the middle stands a cross with a bishop's pallium on either side of it.
The cross and pallii relate to the early association of the Canterbury Province with the Church of England. The heads of the sheep and ox are representative of the pastoral industry which has played such an important part in the development of the University and in the prosperity of the province.
The sheaf signifies agriculture in the husbandry sense, while the mortar and pestle are symbolic of science. The chevron, an architectural structure, indicates the combination of these under one roof.